“None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Trust your hunches. They’re usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level.”
– Joyce Brothers

The poet Amy Lowell was asked, “How are poems made?”
“I don’t know … I meet them where they touch consciousness and that is already a considerable distance along the road of evolution.”
Amy Lowell

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own instead of someone else’s.”
– Billy Wilder, director of movies, including Some Like It Hot and Sabrina

6 Comments

1. Nick
    Posted Thursday February 9, 2006 at 1:15 am | Permalink

I would add, “listen to that COURAGEOUS whisper…” Sometimes those whispers are just as cowardly and evil and wrong as the shouts in your mind. They like to conceal themselves as the voice of God within, but they’re not.

2. senia
    Posted Thursday February 9, 2006 at 9:47 am | Permalink

… And I guess that’s intuition too: which of the words that you say to yourself are true? There’s a topic I’m interested in: when is intuition different from the first thought? I’ll put some thoughts down and post something along these lines in the next couple of weeks.

3. senia
    Posted Tuesday February 21, 2006 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Here’s another good one:

“When I do things without any explanation, but just with spontaneity…I can be sure that I am right.”
    – Federico Fellini

4. Posted Wednesday March 1, 2006 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I found you. How? I used my intuition. (Hahah.) Seriously: was just curious what you were doing with your website lately, and lo and behold, I found you were GRINNING as you flew on a trapeeze. Awesome! (Those pictures are amazing, by the way.)

Hey, more on topic: Did you see reports of that study that came out last week and found that for big, important issues, people make better decisions when they don’t overthink them? You could see it as doing better if they put the issue out of their mind and let their intution take over! Here’s one article about it:

(Note that for simple decisions, it was better to use a rational process.)

5. senia
    Posted Wednesday March 1, 2006 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Hey hey hey! I like your Intuition!!! :)

Yes, that is a super-interesting study! Here’s the abstract of it: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/311/5763/1005
    Thanks for the article link!

6. Lila
    Posted Thursday March 2, 2006 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I have access to Science, so I can get you the full text and email it, if you don’t already have it.