Question: What have you done today to make someone else happy?

This question comes from Lila. It was really good to see Lila a few days ago.
Ok, the first things I can think of are the ways that people have made me happy this week:

* A really good friend is coming to visit in October, and we haven’t seen each other in a long time; that’ll be so great! This made me super happy!
    * Two great friends just moved really close to me – one hours away and one much closer! This made me very, very happy!
    * Cherry pie!
    * One friend agreeing to do something that we’d talked about before – and it’s something I think is really useful – that made me super happy.

So what are the things I did that probably made someone happy this week:

* Saw two super friends… what they did was that they were available on short notice (so great!)… what I did was get all three of us together.. that was so mellow and casual and great. My friends made me so happy by being around then!
    * Took my younger brother to dinner. He liked that.
    * I made a friend of mine happy by discussing her business ideas with her… it was a role somewhat like being on the imaginary baord of a company and looking at the company’s future. I did it because it was interesting and fun, and I think it probably made her quite happier that I did! That’s cool to think about.
    * I took good steps towards connecting two friends to possible future jobs… I made introductory emails between them and people closer on their trail of getting jobs at the places where they want to get jobs.

That was – all in all – a really good week.
Cool!

On Fridays, I post questions. If you feel like answering them, that would be wonderful! Have a great weekend.

6 Comments

1. Posted Friday September 15, 2006 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

This makes me think that there’s a general happiness principle that when you include other people in your happy-making plans, then a net increase of happiness for everyone is the result! So if I do something that I know will make me happy, and include someone else that I think will also be happy with it, then you get MORE than 2X happiness! Or maybe it just lasts longer, like really good gum!

Things I did that may have made people happy:

* I did some pretty fun and informal blog posts this week, and had some good comments going back and forth!

* I helped a friend with a couple of design referrals!

* I found the lost underwear for someone, for someone who didn’t know they were lost!

* I cut off, over several days, a very large fur mat on my cat that pulled at his skin when he sat.

* I put on a terrible hat and made someone laugh, though that wasn’t the plan :-)

2. Posted Friday September 15, 2006 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Hahahahaha, Dave! You made me laugh by listing these – so add making folks laugh to your list! I especially like the rhyming one:

I cut off a very large fur mat
    on my cat
    that pulled at his skin when he sat
    I put on a terrible hat
    What do you think of that?

Yay. :)

3. Posted Sunday September 17, 2006 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Hmmmm well, it was my birthday yesterday so several people really made *me* happy! I’ll see if I can make someone else happy next week though…(but perhaps I’ve just made you happy by responding to your question?)

4. Lila
    Posted Saturday September 23, 2006 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

It’s nice to see this question here! Cool beans. And it was so very great to see you last week.

Dave’s answers are hilarious.

What have I done? Hmm, doesn’t feel like much lately. Here goes:

* Read three of a friend’s articles, and told her what I liked most about them.
    * Offered to help a friend (with errands, or anything else) who was having medical problems.
    * Called my mother.

Maybe I need to find a terrible hat…

5. Margie
    Posted Sunday October 22, 2006 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Came across your website googling my dads’ name. Not many Senias’ around so I was interested. Dad was from MA. His family from Sicily. How about you?

6. Posted Tuesday October 24, 2006 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Hi Margie!
    Thanks for the post!!!!

My parents named me Senia – and it means “Host” and “Guest” in Greek… it comes from the root Xenos. Silicy – that’s so interesting. I’ve heard Spain, but I had not yet heard Italy. Are you Margie with a hard G or a soft G? Thanks for saying HI!

I actually love the meaning of the name – it means I am hospitable when people visit me, and I love to travel to meet people.

Senia

One Trackback

1. By senia.com » SENIA.COM - September, 2006 on Wednesday October 4, 2006 at 1:20 am

[…] Regularly-Scheduled Fun Stuff :) Tuesday Stories: “The Gift of Insults” by zenstories “But You Remember the Blue” “Why Do People Kill People?” Thursday Quotes: Past the Persona, Simplicity, Complexity, Sleep (much more to come on this in Oct or Nov), On Stress, Today is Everyday (love these quotes on today and everyday!) Friday Questions: What’s your favorite flower? What have you done this week to make someone happy? Boo! What’s the craziest thing you’re going to do this weekend? […]