My favorite ten books – that I would take to a deserted island, that I return to every year or few years, that I think about often, that I give copies of to my friends … here they are!

Number 10 – several book tie for tenth:
Learned Optimism by Seligman, The Happiness Hypothesis by Haidt,
The Resilience Factor by Reivich/Shatte, Aging Well by Vaillant

Number 9 – The Best Short Stories of the Century

Number 8 – The Pathway by Laurel Mellin

Number 7 – The Grasshopper: Life, Games and Utopia by Bernard Suits

Number 6 – The Dot and The Line by Norman Juster

Number 5 – In My Father’s Court or Passions by Isaac Bashives Singer

Number 4 – The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Number 3 – Cheaper by the Dozen by the Galbraith children

Number 2 РThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exup̩ry

Number 1 – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

What are your top ten favorite books?
Or top three favorites, off the top of your head?

This list will, of course, change from time to time, and I’ll update it here.

5 Comments

1. Posted Wednesday November 22, 2006 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Deserted island books…hmmmmmmm….I’ll go for fiction: Douglas Copeland, all of them but especially his later books.

2. Posted Wednesday November 22, 2006 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Oh, about the little prince: I *love* that book, but you do have to read it in French :)

3. Posted Wednesday November 22, 2006 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Grim,
    I agree with you on both counts!
    Copeland is super!
    And the Little Prince is wonderful in French…. if you like The Little Prince, you’ll love Cheaper By the Dozen,
    S.

4. Posted Wednesday November 29, 2006 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Grim,
    I also love the work of Paulo Coelho!!!!
    Do you know that he has a newsletter?

You can also go to his blog and comment with other readers your impressions… http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com

it’s simply wonderful!

5. Posted Wednesday November 29, 2006 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Aart,
    Thank you VERY MUCH for those sites – and your blog is like a wonderful, personal Coelho scrapbook! really glad you pointed those out – I never had even thought about looking for a Coelho blog. Thanks!

2 Trackbacks

1. By senia.com » “Ivan and Abdul” by Bernard Suits - Part I on Wednesday November 22, 2006 at 2:37 am

[…] The following is Bernard Suits’ writing from one of my ten favorite books of all time, and ellipses indicate where I have removed longer sections… enjoy! […]

2. By senia.com » What are some of your favorite books? on Friday November 24, 2006 at 11:31 am

[…] Here’s the q… would love to hear your answers! My answers are here. […]